Friday, April 10, 2009

world wide web comic books.



6 pages of my new comic are up on the arthur magazine site
.

more pages will follow soon-ish.

it's a comic based on the idea that the fictions we experience (books/movies/songs) and the ones we create are just as 'real' to us as our 'real life' experiences, especially when dealing with memory.
it's something i've thought a lot about since i watched masters of the universe on dvd a couple of years ago and realized that much of my remembered childhood was actually he-man's life. though i did have a cat that let me ride it around my neighborhood and i was surrounded by muscular, gay men throughout my younger years, there's not much he-man and i have in common. identity is interesting to me especially with how it's built by memory and how much that is tied up in the things we experience in our imagination as much as the things we experience physically. and i think it's even kind of weirder now, as opposed to my eternia years, as everyone blogs about their lives. we're all building a sort of public internet persona as well as our 'real' one. i'm rambling. which is why a drew a story about it, i guess.

of course you probably won't get any of that from the comic.

i'm really happy to be able to do something for arthur magazine as i actually read the mag and the website and really dig it. jason leivian is their online comics dude (as well as being involved in 600 other projects on a daily basis). and he's been posting really awesome shit there recently like farel dalrymple's pop gun war sequel and stuff by kevin hooyman and al columbia. and stanley lieber is working on a story for it that may finally reveal the sexuality of the internet.

3 comments:

S.J. Chambers said...

I really liked the six pages, and can't wait to see the rest.

Post struck home--in addition to delusions of growing up She-Ra's handmaiden, a lot of my childhood memories are mixed in with weird dreams I had--which traumatized me so much that it's like it really happened.

Alisa said...

I just started a long-distance relationship (...like a month ago), and I'm realizing that it's hard to discern between my memories, realities, and my own projections onto him. I'm not sure where I was going with this, and I'm trying not to ramble, but I guess what I want to say is that I understand. Kind of.

pete. said...

selena: thanks. i know what you mean about the dreams (and being she-ra's handmaiden). i think i hated my mother for about 15 years because of a dream i had about her secretly being the head of a witch coven when i was 5ish.

alisa: i used to think that most relationships ended because one person's illusion of the other was broken/disproved. now i realize they could end for a few other reasons too. lack of ice cream and/or cosmic powers being the biggest one.